Friday 4 May 2012

To change or not to change, that is the question

Before Columbus was allowed to sail off in search of new discoveries, he was given the task of making an egg stand up. (an ordinary hens egg) A number of dignitaries were sitting at a large table, all waiting for Columbus to fail the task because everyone knew that you can't stand an egg upright. Columbus looked at the egg and the faces full of smug confidence then smashed the egg on the table, top up,  "there", he said, "the egg is standing". The dignitaries stood up, "this is an outrage, you're braking the rules, anybody could have done this" they shouted. "So why didn't you?" he asked. Columbus set sail and the rest is history as they say.
Did he cheat? Did he brake the rules? Well, if he had been given rules and variables and smashing the egg was braking those, then yes, but none was given. He was given a task, he performed it successfully according to his understanding of it.
Could it be that one possible reason for change being so difficult is that we don't know the new "rules"so to speak and once again we will face the scary "unknown". If I know myself as builder, what will I be if I don't build? If I know myself as a drinker/smoker/binger/etc. what will I be if I stop?
If I always sleep on the right side of the bed, will I be comfortable on the left? If I only like this kind of music/art/movies/people/sports etc. what will happen to me if I suddenly find myself drawn to ballroom dancing/chess/hiking/travel/etc? Fear of the unknown seem to me to be a large part of our resistance to change, another seem to be getting out of our comfort zone. How much discomfort are we willing to put up with for change to take place?
Perhaps it's like searching for a lost housekey under the streetlight because it's better light there? Seems change is impossible without there first being a certain amount of discomfort, of adjustment, of new thinking, new behaviour patterns. Increasing our tolerance for discomfort and the unknown, may help us to embrace change and view it as an opportunity, a challenge, rather than a threat, an enemy to be resisted at any cost. The only constant in life is change some say, so resisting it would be futile. Viewing "change" in whatever guise it appears as an opportunity for growth, for learning new things about ourselves, for discovering strengths we didn't know we had, may fill our sails so we also like Columbus may sail off in discovery of wonderful, unknown new experiences.



No comments:

Post a Comment