Thursday 3 May 2012

I remember it well


 Do you remember where you were on 9/11/01 when the towers went down? Do you remember how you found out? Do you remember what you felt? Did you write it down? Apparently our memory is very malleable as researchers found out when comparing written accounts done immediately after 9/11 and compared with one's done 3 years later. When confronted with the discrepancies, the participants couldn't explain why, except for that the earlier version they'd written was not the way they remembered it.(Even when reading their own handwriting) So what happened? Seems we attach emotions to our memories, we alter our stories, we make them fit with our biases, our perceptions, all the while being sure we are remembering the "truth". Maybe this phenomenon can be used for good? Maybe we can revisit some bad memories and explore new possibilities of interpretation? Maybe our version of the truth was just one possibility, maybe there's room for more? I like the word "maybe" (you may have noticed), it offers hope, different possibilities, alternate explanations, it leaves the door of understanding slightly ajar.
There is this story: Every roast my mother would cook, she used to cut off both ends. I never thought much of it until a friend over for sunday lunch asked me why. I couldn't answer so I asked my mother, she didn't know either but said for me to ask Nan. So I asked Nan and she said that her oven had been small so the tray she used for the roast was very small and in order to fit the roast on it, she had to cut off both ends or it wouldn't fit in the oven........
The reason for cutting off both ends of the roast, although necessary for Nan, was no longer necessary for new large twin shelved ovens, however, nobody had thought fit to ask why the cutting was necessary, because memory dictated that it was always done that way in that household.
As I heard a Buddhist monk say: Understanding how to let go, is knowing how to confront all.
Maybe...........

No comments:

Post a Comment