Sunday 27 May 2012

Pressing the pause button



Do you sometimes feel as if you just want to go somewhere...anywhere ....and just breathe?
 To step outside of your life, or maybe just pause it?
To sit down and wait for your soul to catch up with the rest of you.....
Using the principle of "you visualise it, and your brain perceives it as real", can we take little "time-outs" and head off to the Bahamas, Hawaii, Alaska, or anywhere else one desires? Supposedly yes,...we can do so. Not only that, apparently we can also manipulate time and go back and forth as we please.
We can step back into a joyful, pleasant, memory anytime we want to. Think it, and you're there..
I have a few favourite imaginary destinations that have helped me cope with what at the time may have seemed impossible to endure. For me this is not pretending, ignoring, running away, etc. for me this is just pressing the "pause" button.
Coping. With the intention of pressing "play" when ready.
Have you ever tried taking breath after breath without exhaling? When my son was fighting for his breath during an asthma attack, I asked the doctor what my son was going through:
"Imagine taking breath after breath and never being able to exhale" he said. So I did.
I nearly passed out and felt like a balloon ready to take off, my chest was burning and I experienced definite feelings of panic.
Do we remember to exhale when we are stressed, anxious, panicked?
(Funny we should even have to remind ourselves to breathe properly since breathing air is the first thing a human learns...:)
According to some research, we don't. We hold our breaths. We shallow breathe and don't inflate our lungs properly and so we lack oxygen, which makes us feel lightheaded, which in turn makes us feel xyz........etc.etc....
It has been suggested that even just saying calming words aloud, calms us, brings down blood pressure. Seems too easy I thought so I decided to try it. Well, to my big surprise, it really works! I found as many calming words as I could and just said them out loud: peace, tranquillity, stillness, calmness, restfullness, being undisturbed, etc..while visualising a still clear blue lake, mountains with snow clad tops, a deep green forest on the edge of the lake, an eagle majestically soaring the skies, a cool gentle breeze, and so on....
Are you feeling stressed, pressed, anxious, confused, sad,
or similar types of emotions, why not just press the "pause button" for but a minute and visit your calm place?
Breathe in. Exhale. Breathe in. Exhale.
Peace, friend
Pressing the 'pause button' from time to time may offer us some space, some breathing room, for the inner us..........

No comments:

Post a Comment