Wednesday 21 May 2014

Seeing with our eyes closed......

 

 
"What do you see?" he asked.
"I don't understand what I see", answered the boy.
"Look closer", said the old man.
The boy let out a sigh. "Master, how can I see with my eyes closed?"
"You see not only with your eyes", answered the Master.
 
"What do you hear?" wrote the old man on a small piece of paper.
"I don't understand what I am hearing", wrote the boy.
"Listen more closely", wrote the Master.
"How can I hear anything when my ears are covered?" scribbled the boy.
"You hear not only with your ears", wrote the Master.
 
"What are you holding in your hand?" asked the Master.
"I don't know what I am holding", answered the boy.
"Focus on your touch", said the old man.
"How can I know what I am touching when I am wearing thick leather gloves?" the boy asked.
"You touch not only with your skin", answered the Master.
 
"What are you feeling?" asked the old man.
"I don't know what I am feeling", answered the boy.
"Concentrate", said the Master.
"How can I concentrate on my feelings when I am thinking hard on your questions?" asked the boy.
"You feel not only with your feelings", answered the Master.
 
The Master and the boy sat quietly.
 
"Open your eyes", said the old man.
The boy opened his eyes.
"What do you see?" asked the Master.
The boy sat quietly then answered: "With our eyes we see what something looks like but not its true or inner nature", answered the boy.
 
"Now, really listen, what do you hear?" asked the old man.
The boy slowed his breathing, closed his eyes and listened.
"What do you hear?" asked the Master.
"I hear your voice Master, but in your voice I also hear your kindness, your patience, and your concern for me", answered the boy.
 
"Take off your gloves", said the old man.
The boy removed his gloves.
"What are you holding in your hand?" asked the Master.
"I am holding an old photograph of a small child crying and I am touched with compassion for the child", answered the boy.
 
"What are you feeling right now?" asked the old man as he swept his coat around the boy's shoulders.
The boy closed his eyes, covered his ears and put on his leather gloves then took a deep breath.
Exhaled. Then took another deep breath.
Exhaled, then answered.
"I feel present. My feelings and thinking have merged", answered the boy.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment