Thursday 29 August 2024

Saying nothing is still saying something.......


When she opened the door I could see that she
was upset.
-What's happened Roslyn? I asked.
-I've finally done it. 
-What? What have you done?
-I've told him it's over and that ''Little miss Mouse
don't live in this house anymore.''
-So how do you feel now?
-Great. I feel great. I should have done this years ago.
-What stopped you?
-Fear, I guess. Fear of how he would react and what
he would do. But to be honest, perhaps more than anything else, 
I was worried about being on my own.
Now, I realize that I should have spoken up
years ago and not let fear keep me silent.

A few years later it became my turn to face
my fears and set out on my own.
Like Roslyn, I too had reached a point when
being on my own seemed less scary than staying in
a dysfunctional and loveless relationship.
I too should have spoken up and voiced my concerns.
Now, years later and with the wisdom of hindsight, I realize that by 
staying silent, I lost the very core of myself.
Speaking up and voicing our concerns on
matters that are of importance to us is important.
Important for our sense of self-worth and commitment
to our core values.
Staying silent and not speaking our mind
when our inner voice/core urges us to speak up, those
in the know suggest can have a negative affect on our
mental and physical well-being.
Mind you, it can be easy to come up with a lot of (in our
view) very rational reasons for why we should stay
quiet rather than speaking out, however, in my experience
this often result in taking
us further away from our core values.

Why are core values important to us?
You may ask.
As pertaining to this post and to not be long-winded, 
I am speaking here of Personal Core values.
Such as: Loyalty, honesty, reliability, dependability,
consistency, transparency, etc. etc.
Basically the framework/belief-system through
which we view the world and the people/critters which
inhabits it.
''Your core values are/is the compass
that keeps you moving in the
right direction.''
(Susan David)
(Right as in: in harmony with your core values)

Part of the ''speaking up'' is also the part of how we do it,
and what words we use. (In my experience, just as
important.)
What I found is that being mindful of the time
and place, the tone of voice, the choice of words,
body-language, sticking to facts more so than emotions 
and using ''I feel....'' rather than ''You make me....'' statements 
often tend to have the most favourable outcomes.

I also find that it can be helpful to ask questions.
So what I hear you saying is.........is that correct?
I take what you said to mean..............am I right?
I'm not sure that I agree, can I get back to you on
this?

When we ''speak up'', I've concluded that it is important
to remember that there can be times when ''What's said '' 
and ''What's heard '' can vary. (A lot, sometimes)
Ex: ''Son, can you take out the rubbish, please?''
Son: ''Are you saying that I never take out the rubbish?''
Wife: ''Please don't be late.''
Partner: ''What?? Are you saying that I'm always late?''

Insight: Don't assume that what I said is what
you/they heard. 
Good communication happens when what I say, 
is what others hear.

''Saying nothing is still saying something.''
( ? )


about the image: a small graphite sketch on paper

No comments:

Post a Comment