Monday 30 October 2017

If we could view humans through they eyes of an animal, what would we see?


When I was in my last years of high school, I was a member of a "Cinematheque", a film club, and had developed quite a serious "cinema" addiction. I would skip school, take the train in to Stockholm, and spend days upon days watching movie after movie at the Cinematheque (in Swedish known as "Filmhuset"). The Cinematheque was basically a "film-school" for people studying different aspects of movie making with the goal of eventually finding work in the movie industry, which meant that there were many different movies showing constantly. (I would often view at least three or four movies in a day.)  Of all the movies I viewed there, one of them made such an impact on me that I have never forgotten it. Since the title was in Russian, (please forgive me for not remembering it)
and it was a Russian made film with subtitles, what I can tell you, is what the movie was about.
Shot as through the eyes of a horse, it told the story of that horse's experience of its life.
From being born until its death, I, the viewer, was that horse.
When the horse was whipped, I felt the pain of every lashing, when the horse was pulling impossibly heavy loads that strained the horse's muscles to breaking point, I felt the pain and the exhaustion, when the horse was ridden by men digging their hard boots into the horse's body, I felt the pain and the humiliation, when the horse was hungry and thirsty and given no rest, I felt the horse's ache and fatigue, when the horse was pulling a cannon through one battle field after the other, I felt the horse's fear and confusion, and when it was injured by rifle fire, I felt the searing pain as the bullets ripped through its body.
As the horse fell to the ground, confused, scared and "screaming" with pain, it was "me" laying on the ground screaming, panicked and fighting to stay alive.
Through the eyes of the horse as it lay there on the ground, I saw the "two-leggeds" running around shouting, firing guns, and pushing their bayonets through the flesh of other horses and other two-leggeds.
Then black. 
I felt numb, I felt angry, I felt sad, I felt ashamed to be a human being.
I couldn't move, I just sat there.
Suddenly. The screen lit up. Brilliant white.
Slowly things came in to focus.
"Up, up", a two-legged urged the horse.
Final scene: 
A panoramic view of a horse slowly and carefully walking toward an open field to join the other horses already there, grazing.
(I have searched for that movie for many years, but unfortunately I have not been able to find it.)

"We are far more likely to be harmed by our fellow man than our fellow animals, yet we call animals wild and dangerous and we call man advanced and civilized."
(Anthony Douglas Williams)

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."
(Gandhi)

"A human being is part of a whole, called by us the "Universe", a part limited in time and space.
He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest - a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us.
Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty." (A. Einstein)

Have you ever watched a horse running free and unfettered by humans demands and expectations?
I find it to be a joyous and wonderful experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment