Tuesday 7 July 2015

The body speaks.....expressions come in many forms

 
This is a quick sketch I did of a dancer. I did do many, in the pursuit of trying to understand the dimensions of the human body. As I sketched one ballet dancer after the other I realised how I have never really thought much about the body. (It's kind of just there.)
Some people seem to be very body-conscious; they are good at sports, they are good dancers, they have great gross motor skills; and they seem to feel very comfortable with their bodies. Perhaps they have a high BI=Body Intelligence?
Another name for it is: Kinesthetic Intelligence and according to "Dr Google": "People with bodily/kinesthetic intelligence are skilled at using their body to convey feelings and ideas. They have good hand-eye coordination and are very aware of their bodies. Their fine and gross motor skills are more advanced than the average person."
In conversation with one of my son's friends I asked the friend what he is passionate about in life. Much to my surprise he answered: "Dancing. I am passionate about dancing, because when I dance I can express my feelings." He probably saw how surprised I was with this answer, that he continued: "When I say dancing, I just mean moving my body to the music, not any specific steps or anything."
How do you express your feelings? Many of us probably find words to be our predominant choice of expression, but on occasion, even words may fail us. Sometimes going for a walk, for a jog, for a swim, for a bike ride, for an hour in the gym, etc.. can be more helpful in releasing feelings rather than verbalising them. Others may choose do some gardening, cooking, cleaning, working on the car, fix broken things, re-decorating, sorting, etc.. Doing something that involves the body more than the mind, may give the mind a moment of respite and a chance for the mind to process feelings subconsciously. "I am going for a walk to clear my head", is probably something many of us have said. Does it? Clear the head?
According to some scientists, walking (/jogging) activates neurons in the brain that has a soothing effect, so yes, going for a walk can help us clear our heads.
Our bodies communicate with us: they tell us what we need, although at times, we may choose to ignore what our bodies are trying to tell us. Perhaps some of you may at this time think: "Everything happens in the brain, if the brain malfunctions, so does the body." True, but then on the other hand, a brain without a body has its limitations as well, well, at least at this juncture in time. (The brain is the central part of the nervous system; the nervous system allows us to respond to the world around us; both our voluntary and involuntary actions are attributed to our nervous system, hence the need for some kind of "body".)
Now, we may not be all that "cosmetically" happy with the body we have been given, but in the face of all the possibilities of any number of malfunctions possible in a human body, perhaps a modicum of appreciation for our bodies such as they are, may be worth while?
Feelings, though processed in the brain, affect our bodies, especially through our body language.
Wikipedia: "Body language is a kind of nonverbal communication, where thoughts, intentions, or feelings are expressed by physical behaviours, such as facial expressions, body posture, gestures, eye movement, touch and the use of space."
(If I say to someone: "I am so glad you came", but I don't look them in the eyes, I cross my arms, or turn away from him/her, he/she is probably not going to believe my words.) 
Feelings; are mediated by our limbic system and the involuntary, autonomic nervous system; feelings involve a reaction throughout the whole body. Kinesthetic Intelligence therefore, in my view, is a good thing to possess. That is: being aware of what we are saying with our bodies and not only with our words.  Ballet: Story telling using the body rather than words. Instrumental music: story telling using instruments rather than words. Paintings: story telling using images rather than words.
So, why do we have this need to express ourselves? Some suggest that it is an innate human behaviour, some that it is a part of evolutionary behaviour.......perhaps it's both?
May I suggest in addition to the above that; we desire for others to understand our perspectives; we also desire to understand others perspectives; but perhaps, the overarching desire is; that we desire to belong.

“Because I trust in the ever-changing climate of the heart. (At least, today I feel that way.) I think it is necessary to have many experiences for the sake of feeling something; for the sake of being challenged, and for the sake of being expressive, to offer something to someone else, to learn what we are capable of.” (Jason Mraz)

Now, excuse me, but I need to express myself by dancing a symphony in green.
 



 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment