Sunday 13 October 2013

Realise your potential; do an emotional stock take


"Now close your eyes and just listen to my voice," said the counsellor.
Jossie closed his eyes and exhaled.
"At this point", continued the counsellor, "it's going to be important that you manage to create a virtual image in your mind".
Jossie closed his eyes tighter and took another breath while muttering to himself, "Sheeesh, I get it, it's important".
"Okay, Jossie?" asked the counsellor.
"Uhu", Jossie replied.
"Imagine an old shop with wooden framed shop windows, a rustic door, and a weather worn sign saying "Gifts".
"Can you see it Jossie?" continued the counsellor.
"Yes, I can see it", answered Jossie.
"Now, open the door and enter...there is wooden shelving up and down the walls. Every space in the shop is covered with shelves except for a big painting of two ballet dancers with their backs turned, hanging slightly eschewed in the only shelf less space in the shop". 
"Can you see it Jossie?"
"Uhu, yeah, I see it."
"Right, now what we are going to do is a stock take."
Jossie opened his eyes and looked at Bill (the counsellor) bewildered.
"How Bill, can I do a stock take when there's nothing in the shop?
"You are going to put in the stock Jossie."
"What stock?", Jossie asked exasperatedly.
"Close your eyes again Jossie and let's carry on," Bill said calmly.
"Are you back in the shop?"
"Yeah, Bill, I am," replied Jossie.
"Now visualize a door at the back of the shop with a sign saying "Storage Room", open the door and in there you find a lot of empty boxes. You are going to fill and label them."
"Okay, got it Bill."
"Here is your first label, on it is written "Regrets".
Jossie imagined receiving the label and sticking it on one of the empty boxes.
"What will you put in the box Jossie?"
Jossie thought for a moment and then he answered: "Not travelling, not standing up to my father, not pursuing my interest in music, not sticking up for the kids that were bullied at school, not spending more time with my brother, not being there for some of my friends when they needed me, and so on Bill...the list is long."
Second label: "Anger". "This one is easy Bill, I have a short temper and seem to get angry with much; I get angry with slow drivers, with the government, the politicians, the economy, the prices of everything, the young generations, todays music, people cutting in line, bad workmanship...the box full yet?"
Third label: "Bitterness/Resentment". Jossie took a deep breath then said; my folks never supported my interest in music, I was passed over for a promotion promised to me, my siblings made fun of my size, my best friend pursued my ex-girlfriend after we broke up, my mother laughed at me when I asked what it's like to be a woman, and when I was heartbroken when my dog died, the whole family called me soft."
Fourth label: "Loss". "This one is difficult, take your time Jossie," said Bill.
Jossie swallowed and then continued; I lost my dog Scampi, my first girlfriend committed suicide, my grand-father whom I loved very much, was run over and killed by a drunk driver, one of my closest friends died from an overdose, my youngest sister got cancer and died very young, and last year I lost my job, a job that was very important to me."
After the last word was spoken, both men stayed quiet until Bill said "Thanks Jossie, I realise that to do this must have been tough for you, but lets move on to the next label.
Fifth label: "Joys". "What can you put in the box of Joys, Jossie?" Jossie sat up straight and a smile fluttered across his face. "The smell of freshly cut grass in summer, listening to good music, watching a good movie, being with friends, having a nice meal with my beloved, clear blue water, laughing, swimming, good coffee, good food, Christmas lunch with the whole family, the list is very long Bill, I am happy to say."
Sixth label: "Hopes". Jossie sat quiet for a second, then continued: "To play the piano, to learn a new language, to help my younger brother get over his divorce, to find a fulfilling job, to always be supporting to my beloved, to have kids one day, to become more understanding and compassionate, to do something good for others, to mention a few."
Seventh label: "All things new". Jossie moved his head to face Bill with eyes still shut. "What does this mean?" he asked.
"In this box you can put all the new things you desire," Bill responded.
"Okay then, in that case: new insights, new experiences, new friends, renewed relationships with old friends, new discoveries, new hopes, new joys, new ways of seeing things," Jossie replied.
"Before you open your eyes, I would like you to put the seven labelled boxes on the shelves in the shop, can you do that Jossie?"
Jossie visualised putting the boxes on the shelves then opened his eyes.
"Every now and then it can be good to do an "emotional stock take", said Bill. Imagine if you will that we all have a small "shop" within. On the shelves are boxes containing a variety of items, and by that I mean, emotions. When a stock take is performed the "items" that don't sell usually gets discontinued, and for those that work well, a new order is made. At times it can be beneficial to open our "boxes" and find out whether we benefit from keeping the items (emotions) or if they are just crowding the space. Perhaps we may even need new boxes, with new labels? Now when you have visited "the shop" Jossie, do you feel or believe that a "stock take" may be a good thing?" Bill asked.
"Well, you've certainly given me something to ponder Bill, just one question, can an "emotional stocktake" be likened to a garage clean-up? I mean, I have boxes of stuff in my garage, ...some stand untouched for years, other boxes with stuff I don't have a need for anymore I usually throw out, but some stuff, seems to always come in handy, I mean, that stuff don't even get to be put in a box...that sort of thing?"
"Basically yes, Jossie, however you see it........as long as it makes sense to you." said Bill. 
 
Most of us have a number of "labels" attached to ourselves, some we are conscious of and others not, but if we perform a "stock take" every now and then, we may be able to remove a few hurtful ones and replace them with positive, encouraging ones. Our potential is often much greater than we believe or think it is.
                         "With realisation of one's own potential and self-confidence
                             in one's ability, one can build a better world."
    (Dalai Lama)
"Everyone has inside of him a piece of good news. The good news is that you don't know how great you can be! How much you can love! What you can accomplish! And what your potential is!"
(Anne Frank)

No comments:

Post a Comment