Monday 28 October 2013

"I know my rights! The problem with a sense of entitlement.........

(this is a painting of my son's friend Zac, although for some it is the Nazarene)
 
Have you ever heard someone say: "I know my rights, I have the right to...., it's my right to..." et cetera? Personally I have heard it voiced many times and it made me consider what "rights" this may refer to.
This is what some say a "right" is: "an entitlement associated with a moral or social principle, such that an "entitlement" is a provision made in accordance with a legal framework of a society."
Typically, entitlements are based on concepts of social equality or enfranchisement's.
On a more personal level, the term "entitlement" often refers to a belief (notion) that one has a right to a certain benefit/reward  regardless of the presence or not of a legal or principled cause. (A "sense of entitlement")
If we are all entitled are we all also responsible?
Do we feel that others are just as entitled as we are to be treated decently, to be respected, to have access to good medical care, to be able to study, to be able to live peacefully, and so on?
Or are some of us more entitled than others?
How do we learn about responsibility and entitlements?
According to some research, we learn to be responsible, or feel entitled, according to what we are rewarded for; the consequences of our behaviour so to speak.
Example: If I am entitled to "free speech" does that mean I do not have to consider how speaking my mind may affects others? A child who grows up with a great sense of entitlement may conclude that the parents owe him/her the desires of his/her heart, unconditional love, patience, forgiveness, support, and so on... and all he/she is responsible for is to just "be",.... "Hey, I didn't ask to be born so why should I be responsible for anything,...you owe me what I need and want."
Perhaps expectation and reciprocity may factor in to the equation of entitlement?
"I treat people with respect so I should be treated with respect in return", "I was there for you when you needed me, so you have to be there for me when I need you", "I am a loyal friend, so you have to be loyal to me", "I do the same job as you, so I should be paid the same", and so on.
This probably seems fair to most of us, but what if what you consider to be "respectful behaviour" is viewed differently by the other?
What if your sense of loyalty differs from your friend?
When it comes to the aspects of legal entitlements, there are clear boundaries but when dealing with emotions, mindsets, belief systems, etc. it is much more complex.
"In the olden days, one started with a broom and worked ones way up...today's generation wants to start at the top."
"In my days you only got a prize when you won, nowadays the kids get one just for showing up."
"Back in the days, young people used to respect their elders, now they barely say hello."
Or.....
"Why, I finished school so I deserve a reward, like a car or something."
"Just because my folks started at the bottom don't mean I have to."
"Get with the technology, things are different now."
Lets look at the word "entitlement" again......
Merriam and Webster: the condition of having a right to have, do, or get something,
 the feeling or belief that you deserve to be given something (such as special privileges).

The Urban dictionary: someone who thinks something is owed to them by life in general; or because they are who they are.
If we are owed, who owes us?
Life owes us?
Hmm.......
If "life" owes us something, does that mean us as in mankind or us individually?
As beings, scratching out a living on the thin crust of a planet hanging in the vast universe, I wonder if perhaps we should give "entitlement" the boot (except for as a legal concept)?
I mean, we didn't make the planet, the air we breathe, the water we drink, the amazing fauna and flora that surrounds us, the sun, the moon, the stars, and the list goes on.
Perhaps instead of feeling entitled, we may consider entertaining the notion of feeling responsible... and why not throw in a bit of grateful as well......

Reflect upon your present blessings -- of which every man has many -- not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some.” (Charles Dickens)

“You can complain because roses have thorns, or you can be grateful that thorn bushes have roses.”
(Tom Wilson) 

No comments:

Post a Comment