Thursday, 1 October 2026

Just walk away, they say.................easier said than done

                                                                               

Just walk away, they say.
Don't stay, they say.
Why don't you just leave, they say.
It takes two to Tango, so if you stay
though you know you should leave,
then you're culpable, so they say.
Only a fool would stay, they say.
Don't be an idiot, walk away, they say.

Who are ''they'' who say these things?
There's a line in a Craig David song
that at the time when the song
 ''I'm walking away'' was in the charts
really stuck with me.
''I'm walking away from the troubles in
my life,
I'm walking away to find a better day.''
At that time I was working in a not only
very badly paid but also bad for me job.
I was lifting far too much heavy stuff
and the treatment by most of my co-
workers there was shocking.
Every day for over three years I tried to
find a way to walk away.
When the doctor told me that I had to 
leave or I would have to be carried away
on a stretcher, I finally walked away.

So, here's the thing in my view.
Walking away is only step 1.
There are so many more steps to come after
 the first one.
If there is danger and children involved
 in not walking away, as with domestic 
abuse situations, a lot of planning and
money is often needed in order to leave.
So before Step 1. there is usually a bunch 
of other steps to be taken.

In my experience for most of us there
is no such thing as ''just''.
(I have ''walked away'' so many times that
I don't actually want to remember exactly
how many any more.)
Walking away is often a very costly affair;
emotionally, physically, monetary, loss of
friends, relatives, jobs, etc. etc. etc.
especially if children are involved.
One of the worst days in my life (so far) was 
sitting alone in court with sweaty hands
holding on to my divorce papers 
while I could hardly breathe from fear
that my heart was going to just stop.
There was no just walking away from
15 years of marrige and a teenage son
no matter the dysfunction of the relationship.

There are millions of people on this globe
that would love to be able to just walk away
from the situations they are currently experiencing.
Some try to walk away only to be faced
with ''walls'' of bias, prejudice, hard-headedness,
intolerance, -isms of different varieties, etc. etc. etc.
Some try and are met with guns and hostility.
Fences are erected, walls are built, angry people
all dressed up and wearing face masks blocks
the entrance from anyone trying to walk away.
Bombs of a myriad of varieties are dropped
on people from even attempting to ''walk away''.
In an era that views itself as technologically
well versed, savvy even, may I ask what 
makes us think we're so smart when we
are excited about creating a machine that eventually
is going to get rid of us because in an era
of machines only, there will be no need for
biological creatures that can be rid of by 
a mere nasty subatomic particle.


Some people make fun and belittle others
who are sincerely trying; ''walking away to
find a better day'' to overcome addictions,
become better parents, find help to become
better humans, to overcome dangerous and destructive
behaviours, etc. etc. etc. or as the particularly obnoxious
person may say; become all kumbaya.
Kumbaya actually means something worthwhile;
peace, unity and togetherness.
However, more often than not it is used sarcastically
as a meme for naiveté, and for the purpose of creating
political and social discourse.

Elon Musk said; ''that the fundamental weakness
of Western civilization is empathy.''
Since then 2025, he has modified that;
Empathy is okay as long as it is
rationally thought through.
I disagree with him. I view empathy as one
of mankind's most valuable attributes.

''Empathy is choosing to see ourselves in another
despite our differences.
It is recognizing that the same humanity - the
same desire for meaning, fulfilment and security
- exists in each of us, even if it's expressed
uniquely.''
(Vivek Murthy)


about the image: white charcoal on black cardboard

No comments:

Post a Comment