Sunday 16 February 2020

Want to know more about yourself? Go eye to eye with a wild animal.........


I have always found elks to be magnificent looking
animals. Not that I have ever been that
up and close with one, but there is something
so very graphic about their silhouette methinks.
Ducking in to a small coffee shop to get a latte for
work (at that time in a gallery), while waiting, 
 I saw a life size decal (huge sticker) of an elk
plastered on one of the walls.
Admiring the image suddenly brought a long
 forgotten memory to the forefront of my mind.
I had indeed been very close-up with a wild elk once.
In my early 20's, a friend and I decided to ride
our Vespas from way up the north of Sweden down to
Stockholm.
This meant going through miles and miles of deep, deep,
untouched pine forests. 
Bar from the odd bird squawking now and then
and the humming of our vespas, we were surrounded by
silence. 
Not a silence as in the absence of sound, but more like
the silence of an empty cathedral.
It was definitely a spiritual kind of experience as we
forged our way forward. I think I was so immersed
in the experience that I forgot to keep an eye on the distance
between me and my friend.
But when my Vespa suddenly coughed, spluttered, 
and then just stopped, I realized that I was all alone
in the middle of a never ending forest.
I dragged the Vespa to the side of the road and
pondered my fate.
As this was long before the mobile phone, there
was no way for me to contact my friend or anybody
else. I was stuck.
All I could do was to wait and hope that somebody would
show up. I sat down on the seat on my Vespa, pulled
up the zipper on my parka and prepared myself for
a long wait.
Above the treetops I could see the sun slowly sinking
and the air changing from fresh to chilling.
Hugging myself trying to stay warm, every now 
and then doing a little dance to keep the circulation going,
I was beginning to fret.
Suddenly there was a strange noise coming from 
behind me.
I quickly turned around and looked straight into eyes of
a massive elk. His nostrils were flaring with mist,
his horns large and sharp, and his breathing slow but very scary.
In an instant I became a statue hardly even daring
to breathe.
 Quietly I argued with myself whether I should stare
the elk in the eyes or glue my gaze to the ground.
I had no clue about elk etiquette, so I played it safe
and kept staring at the ground.
Whoosh! A stream of hot air hit my face.
The elk's nose was only a few centimeters away from
my own.
Okay, now what???
Suddenly the elk took a step back, and then another,
and then stopped.
Very slowly I turned my head so that I could see what
he was doing. It looked as if he was listening to something.
What was he hearing?
Ah. There it was. The sound of my friend's Vespa.
I turned my head toward the sound and saw my friend
far in the distance coming toward me.
And the elk? Just as quickly as he had appeared, he disappeared.
''What are you doing?'' my friend asked me when he pulled
up next to me.
''My Vespa just stopped'', I answered.
Ten minutes later, spark-plug cleaned and my engine
running again, we carried on on our journey.
Although, this time I made sure that I was never further
away from my friend than at a ''hollering'' distance.

It's one thing to look a wild animal in the eyes while
that animal is in some sort of enclosure, but it's a very different
experience to do so when there is nothing but a breath
between you and that animal.
Respect, my fellow creature.

''When you look a wild animal into the eye, it's like
catching a glimpse into the soul of nature itself.''
(Paul Oxton)

about the image: In a dollar shop I found a small ''make-it-yourself''
model of an elk's head made from wood. After I assembled it, I took a
photo of it and then did a little bit of editing in Photoshop.

1 comment:

  1. How fascinating, I read this and remembered that just yesterday I was mesmerized by this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9g0U-M2McQ&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR3RSeSnIBiHyoB32B_ONAvREsN4ur6iRucv3BEKP7M0_2b6fSvFci6QxtI not sure if the boy meets an elk or a moose or what it is, but it seemed like an interesting coincidence.

    ReplyDelete