Monday 3 February 2020

Kindness is not a sign of weakness.......


Yesterday I watched a movie about the man who founded
the ''Make a Wish Foundation''.
As far as childhoods go, Jack's childhood was fraught
with a constant flow of obstacles, hardships,
 and disappointments.
Mostly due to his mother's failure to uphold a
court order stating regular visitations by his
beloved and loving father.
(Every time Jack's father would find them, his mother would
pack up their very small trailer and leave.)
At eleven, his mother told him that his dad had died in
a car accident, (a lie) and before Jack could catch his
breath, she threw her things in the back of her
new boyfriend's truck and left.
To cut a long story short; Jack ran. Eventually he ended up
at a diner owned by a very kind man who took him in
and raised him as his son. ''Son'', he said to Jack, ''when
someone needs help, you help.''
This advice eventually inspired Jack to start 
the Make a Wish Foundation.

As far back as I can remember, I have been puzzled
by why we (humans) so often seem to find
it so hard to chose kindness as our first
response in any number of different situations.
Some suggest that for some of us kindness is
perceived as a weakness, a sign of emotional frailty
 and ''softness'' rather than a strength.
Some even view kind people as ''push-overs'',
as gullible, and easily taken advantage of.
To be kind it seems, is for some of us synonymous with 
vulnerability, and vulnerability is ''bad'' because it ''opens''
the possibility for us to be hurt or worse still, to be rejected.
''Better to keep people uncertain of who you really are
by being cool, aloof, and mysterious, than to show your
heart and be deemed a ''softie''.
Julia Breur, a clinical psychotherapist:  ''Some remain
stagnant in their human development as protective
(of themselves and others)
and others continue to develop with the realization that
they can protect(themselves and others) by being kind.''

In between gigs, I have often had to compliment my meager
''music'' income by working in various kinds of warehouses.
I did so on and off for 10 years but the environment
was so toxic and ''back-breaking'' (literally) that I decided
to embrace poverty. (= quit) 
But before I left, I wanted to set the record straight as
to why I never once responded with nasty words to all
the nasty words that had been hurled at me.
With my lunch box under my arm, I walked up the 
warehouse manager, looked him straight in the eyes and said:
''Never, ever, mistake kindness for weakness!!'' and with
those words I left the warehousing ''gambit'' forever.
(As a 20-something year old, I decided to never use
my intelligence for ''evil'' or nastiness, or to hurt someone
else with, and to this day, I have never broken that promise.
Kindness, has always been one of my most
important personal values.)
Perhaps at this point it may be good for me to give
you my definition of kindness.
''Kindness is a deliberate response and or an action taken not based
on the cost or gain to the self, but on the concern and regard
for the other.'' 

A little act of kindness, given or received un-expectedly,
is like someone whispering gently into your soul;
I see you, and you are not alone. (Citizen Z)

About the image: Teddy is a little bear I created and he appears
on a number of posts on this blog site

No comments:

Post a Comment