Sunday 20 October 2019

What is beauty? In my opinion, a horse......


''I call horses ''divine mirrors'' - they reflect back the emotions
you put in. If you put in love and respect, kindness and curiosity,
the horse will return that.'' (Allan Hamilton)

Some folks see a horse and somehow instantly get an urge to want to
control it, to harness and use its power, in short,
subjugate it.
Why??
A few days ago a ''behind the scene'' reportage on what happens
to many race horses after they stop racing aired here in Australia.
One after the other blood curdling image of the violence that
the horses were subjected to rolled before our eyes.
WHY?
Surely these noble creatures who have served mankind for thousands 
of years one way or another, deserve better.

From a horse's mouth
I am a horse, no more no less.
And I have served you, 
given you my best.

At sunup, at sundown,
I've never let you down,
with you on my back,
hurtling across the ground.

I have pulled heavy carts,
canons, guns and other parts,
endured weeks of battles
tho bullets around me did dart.

I have endured times of hunger,
times without a moments slumber,
no roof over my head,
through rain, storm and thunder.

I have been prodded, 
I've been whipped,
my hooves fettered, 
my teeth chipped.

Now that I'm old
and my gait quite slow.
My question is this:
Two-legged beast, 
what will you do now? 
(Citizen Z)


I am not a ''horse'' person, I don't ride, I don't
go to races, I don't have anything to do with horses at all
except for loving them.
They are beautiful creatures that pose absolutely no threat
to human beings. On the contraire, we are a threat to them.
Consider with me:
''What is a man without the beasts?
If all the beasts were gone, man would
die from a great loneliness of the spirit.
For whatever happens to the beasts,
soon happens to man.
All things are connected.''
(Chief Seattle)

''The horse, with beauty unsurpassed, strength immeasurable
and grace unlike any other, still remains humble enough
to carry a man upon his back.''
(Amber Senti)

ps. Have you watched the movie ''The Horse whisperer''? 
It's worth a look.

(about the painting: ink on water colour paper)

No comments:

Post a Comment