Sunday 2 December 2018

Give peace a chance......


Before I started to paint, I used to do a lot of photography.
I would head off in the morning with my camera (not phone),
a few rolls of film, and eyes wide open. 
I wasn't interested in ''snap shots'', what I was looking for was
the peculiar, the strange, the un-expected, the mysterious, the split
second occurrence, the odd, the beautiful, and the outward
expressions of peoples behaviours and expressions while going 
about their lives. 
Once a week I would hand in my rolls of film to be developed,
have a coffee somewhere nearby while I was waiting, and then
with barely contained excitement I would pick up my ''loot''.
-Have you ever used Photoshop? the assistant asked.
-No, what is that? I asked.
-It's a photo editing program. Once you get a hang of how to use it,
it's a fantastic program, and a lot of fun to use. You should give it
a try, I think you will enjoy it.''
Long story short, once I procured my own copy of Photoshop,
I spent all my free time learning how to use it. The shop assistant
was right, I loved it. Not so much because it could be used to enhance
images and fix lighting issues etc., I loved it because using it I was able
to create totally new images out of ''old'' ones. 
The above image is such an image. Originally the photo depicted a renaissance
 influenced bronze sculpture of a woman, which in itself was nothing special,
what caught my attention however, was the look in her eyes.
So I cropped the image and focused on the face, ran it through 
a bunch of different filters, and while doing so, the word ''peace'' 
popped into my mind.
Peace, a small word, but a ''big'' concept.
It can mean so many different things: freedom from disturbances, stillness, 
calmness, harmony, quietude, etc.etc.
Peace can also be: a state or period in which there is no war, skirmishes, conflicts, 
discord, fighting, hostilities, etc.etc.
On a personal level, what does peace mean to us?
We do use terms such as peace of mind, peace loving, making peace, inner peace, 
at peace, etc.etc. in common parlance, but lately I have been wondering if peace, 
as far as humans are concerned, can ever become a permanent 
rather than a temporary state of mind.
If peace is the absence of conflict, discord and or contention, are we capable
of pursuing it first and foremost?

Perpetual  and
               Energetic  dedication to
   Acceptance  and
Charity   often
Evolves    into

Peace of Mind
Peace of Heart
                      Peace toward self and others

To quote two musicians: ''Give Peace a chance'' (John Lennon)
''When the power of love overcomes the love of power
 the world will know peace.'' (Jimi Hendrix)

No comments:

Post a Comment