Monday 25 July 2016

A birds tale.......singing your own song

 
"You must find your own song, your very own way,
that's why, my dearest of sons, you must now fly away."
The little blue wren, swallows his fears,
kept at bay, his burgeoning tears.
 
"But where do I go, and must I go alone?
Must I find new paths, never before flown?
"Yes, my son, you have to leave this nest,
to learn, to grow, to become your very best."
 
The little blue wren, push forward his chest,
his little heart pounding, beneath his vest.
Then with a flick of his tail and courage in his eye,
he lifts his wings and takes off into the sky.
 
Years go by, no little blue wren in sight,
the father worries; did he do right?
Then early one morning, first morning of spring,
his son returns, with a new song to sing.
 
"In my pursuit to find my own song,
many are the paths that I have flown.
I have watched from above, but also down low,
 creatures called humans doing what they do."
 
"I have to admit, that I don't understand,
the duplicitous nature of mankind:
They build, they destroy, they create, they annihilate,
they love, they hate, they encourage, they berate,
they share, they hoard, they laugh, they're bored,
they hope, they despair, they break, they repair,
they kill, they save, they're cowards, they're brave,
they're compassionate, they're indifferent,
 they're intelligent, they're belligerent."
 
"And yet,
somehow they still also manage
to create music such that equals the finest of all birdsongs,
write poetry and sonnets that opens windows to their very souls,
extend gestures of love that mend broken bridges,
but strangest of all,
when faced with disaster that threatens their very existence,
they often find ways to a congruent co-existence."
 
The father looks at his son,
throws his wings around him,
holds him real close and then gently says:
"Teach me your song."
(Citizen Z)
 
 "Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life." (Rachel Carson) 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment