Sunday 22 November 2015

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” (Martin Luther KIng Jr.)




Father, my Father....
 
Father, my Father, can you hear the battle drums?

Father, my Father, can you hear the voices raised in supplication?

Father, my Father, can you hear the voice of love pleading for your intervention?

Father, my Father, can you hear the voice of reason beseeching you to speak?

Father, my Father, can you hear the voice of hope fading and needing your strength?

Father, my Father, can you hear the voice of compassion reaching out to you for support?

Father, my Father, can you hear the voice of peace imploring you to heed its call?

Father, my Father, can you hear the voice of harmony petitioning for you to intercede?

 

 Father, my Father, the battle drums are becoming louder,

the storm clouds in the sky are growing ever larger,

fears and tears, rise up, threatens our hearts to devour.

Father, my Father, please hear us as we pray

For Love to find the way.
 
(Although I am using the word "Father" in this poem, feel free to exchange it for another word you may feel is more applicable for you.......  The idea for the poem is inspired by a poem by Goethe called Der Erlkonig in which a son asks his father: "My father, my father, do you not hear what the Erlking promises me?"  Who exactly, the Erlking is, ..... is open to interpretation.  Alternatively, perhaps this poem could go something like this:
"People, people, can you hear the voices of love, reason, hope, compassion, peace, and harmony, reaching out for us to hear them? People, people, let us try to let Love show us the way.")
 

No comments:

Post a Comment