Monday 23 March 2015

Hey, I am quiet by choice!..... Introversion vis-a-vis Extroversion....

 
 
"For days she has been longing to find some time just for herself, well, Molly the dog and her. While the rest of the family is still fast asleep, she quietly gets dressed, signals to Molly to be quiet, then out into the early morning light they wander. The air is fresh, the light brilliant, and she can feel the energy from the sun revitalising her from top to bottom. Molly walks a few steps behind, wagging her tail, and ready to obey her mistress in an instant. As they enter the forest with its dappled light, she can feel the tension lift and she feels strong once again."
 
So, what do you do when you feel down in the dumps?
Why, I go to the gym, and do a few pumps.
What do you do when you feel a bit lonely?
Why, I call a few friends and play gin rummy.
 
What do you do when the news seem all bad?
Why, I count all my blessings and feel real glad.
What do you do when you feel left out?
Why, I just call a friend and suggest we go out.
 
What do you do when you feel real worried?
Why, I think of life like an exciting journey.
What do you do when things go wrong?
Why, I do something that makes me feel strong.
 
(imagined answers from an extroverted person)
 
 
"Extroverted people feel energised by the outer world of people and things." (Myers & Briggs)
According to Carl Jung:  "Jung defined introversion as an "attitude-type characterised by orientation in life through subjective psychic contents" (focus on one's inner psychic activity); and extraversion as "an attitude type characterised by concentration of interest on the external object" (the outside world)."
 
So, what do you do when you feel down in the dumps?
I ask myself what put me in the slumps.
What do you do when you feel a bit lonely?
I read a good book, or watch a good movie.
 
What do you do when the news seem all bad?
I phone a close friend and have a long chat.
What do you do when you feel left out?
I find a nice path and go for a walk.
 
What do you do when you feel real worried?
Remember my strengths and know I am worthy.
What do you do when things go wrong?
Seek words of wisdom that will help me feel strong.
 
(imagined answers from an introverted person)
 
Some of us feel energised being around people, doing and participating in many different activities, and some of us feel energised through inner reflection, and more solitary pursuits.
Thing is, most of us, or according to Carl Jung; all of us; have a bit of both as part of our personality traits. Susan Cain, author of "Quiet: the Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking" suggests that the "Western Society is biased toward an extrovert ideal". Perhaps with more understanding of the two different types of personality traits, we can find a way to appreciate them both equally and without bias.
  
 
“Whoever you are, bear in mind that appearance is not reality. Some people act like extroverts, but the effort costs them energy, authenticity, and even physical health. Others seem aloof or self-contained, but their inner landscapes are rich and full of drama. So the next time you see a person with a composed face and a soft voice, remember that inside her mind she might be solving an equation, composing a sonnet, designing a hat. She might, that is, be deploying the powers of quiet.”
(Susan Cain: "Quiet: the Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking")

No comments:

Post a Comment