Saturday 6 September 2014

Enjoying life "old school"........

Slowly the coffin was lowered into the ground. The boy watched in silence, holding back his tears the best he could.
His grand father was gone, but he had left a letter for him.
Jimmy waited until the evening, then he went into his room, closed the door, and opened the letter.
 
"Dear Jimmy, I want you to know that I have always loved you and I always will.
Since I am not going to be around as you grow up, I thought I would write down a few of my thoughts that may be of assistance to you in the future.
Yes, I am using that old Remington to write this because old does not necessarily mean no longer functioning or of any use. What is it you kids call it? Old school...
Words are words whether they are written with a pen, using a typewriter or an I-thingy so when you write something, be aware of the power of the words you use. Words are so easily misunderstood.
I guess perhaps there are many things that could be considered "old school" for instance: writing music using a real instrument instead of using a virtual one, going for a jog outdoors in nature instead of jogging on a treadmill indoors in a gym, painting a painting with brushes and paints on a canvas instead of using a graphics tablet, using an analogue camera and having the film developed instead of using a digital one with instant image reproduction, cooking a meal from scratch instead of buying take-away or ready-made, using a landline for phone calls instead of a mobile phone, and so on.
Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that one is better than the other, my point is: new or old school, consider both.
Although you can listen to music in digital form, consider also going to live concerts and becoming a part of the interaction between the performer and the listener, although you can view works of art on an interface, consider also going to galleries and viewing them with the naked eye, although you can read books in a digital form, consider also going to libraries and holding books in your hand, smelling the paper, and feeling the weight of the words. Although you can travel the world with the mere click of a button, consider also taking a trip to places you have never been, and although you can play many games comfortably seated in front of your computer, consider also playing games in real life situations, with real people, face to face.
I guess what I am trying to say is that "digital" experiences are possible through technology, but they are only approximations of real experiences so there is always something missing such as the high resolution and granularity (details) of real life.
Real life on the other hand, provides you with sensory experiences such as smell, touch, taste, movement, temperature, pain, balance, and emotional responses, and these things, contribute to the richness of your life.
I know how you love that computer of yours and I'm not saying to stop enjoying using it, what I am trying to say I guess, is to remind you to remember to also enjoy life "old school".
Life is so short and so very precious, so smell it, listen to it, touch it, see it, and taste it.
Love grandpa"
 
Jimmy put the letter back in its envelope and stood still. He decided that it was okay now for him to allow his tears to be set free, so he began to cry quietly.
Through the tears he could see the green light flashing on his laptop asking him if he wanted to save his game. Slowly he walked up to the laptop and closed it. Resolutely he put the letter from his grand father in his back pocket, then left his room and walked outside.
Standing on the front porch he closed his eyes, smelt the air and then listened
to the sounds of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment