Wednesday 19 September 2012

Dare to "dream", coz you never know......

Babe Ruth, arguably one of Americas most famous Baseball players, began his life very humbly. Ruth himself described his beginnings as "rough". At age seven, his father sent him to St. Mary's Industrial School for Boys, a reformatory and orphanage. From this humble beginning, Ruth has become credited with changing baseball itself.
The popularity of the game exploded in the 1920's largely due to his influence. The Babe ushered in the live-ball era with his big swing escalating home run totals. Babe Ruth is now regarded as one of the greatest sports heroes in American culture.     
We all are free to "dream", no matter what the circumstances may be. When I was very small, I dreamed of becoming a jazz pianist, I dreamed that I would play in America, with American jazz musicians, that I would experience first hand the spirit of Jazz. There was nothing that indicated that this dream would ever become a reality......what does a white, suburban Swedish child have in common with the african-american culture born out of slavery, poverty and disparity?
I never asked myself that question, I just followed my heart, and my heart knew no boundaries.
Have you ever noticed how people's first reactions to "dreams" often are of the doubting, critical kind, and how people with visions often become labelled "dreamers", but not in a good way?
I have often wondered if criticism is our default position to anyone with new ideas.
Yet, somehow and very fortunate for mankind, "dreamers" seem to keep popping up and in spite of many obstacles to overcome; they keep inventing, imagining and creating.
In the depth of your being, do you have dream?
Is there something in your life that you are passionate about and if you allowed yourself to throw caution to the wind, you would love to have a go at?
Then why not do so?
I'm a realist, you may say, and some of us have to do the "real" jobs, we can't all be dreamers.
Interesting thing is that many of our so called "real" jobs exist because somebody had an idea, a dream. Much of our technology that now employ hundreds of thousands of people, began with an idea. The Wright Brothers had a dream that man could fly, others that human kind could walk on the moon. Instead of saying: "it can't be done, people who dream, ask; how can it be done?
Whatever progress mankind achieves, the beginning point is often to ask: "what if?"
Often at the end of a performance, people would come up to me and say: "I wish I could play an instrument", to which I would ask; "have you ever tried to"? More often than not, the answer would be no.
To follow one's dreams, takes courage.
"All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them" said Walt Disney.
"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why... I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" Robert Kennedy
"You have to dream before your dreams can come true" Abdul Kalam
The time for having a dream, is always now, regardless of circumstances. Martin Luther King Jr: "I say to you today, my friends, that in spite of the difficulties and frustrations of the moment, I still have a dream."
If you always wanted to learn an instrument, sing, paint, cook, garden, build, nurse, study, etc.
NOW is the time.
Dreaming, imagining, visualising, is the beginning,
the rest is hard work.
(ps. I did go to America and play with famous jazz musicians. My dream did come true, but that's another story.)

 

 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment