Wednesday 28 June 2023

Living the Blues..........................


The Blues.
Music that comes straight from the inner most
parts of a human being.
''Gimme a pig foot and a bottle of beer'' Bessie Smith
(famous Blues singer)wailed on the old record player(gramophone)
 and from the first time I heard it, I was hooked.

Before there were vinyl records, there were Bakelite
records, also called ''78's''. In Sweden, where
I come from, they were called ''Stone Cake''
records.
Not long before my father passed away he handed
me a box of his prized 78's records.
As I browsed the content of the box, I was
overcome by childhood memories.
Those records are one of the reasons that
at the ripe old age of five, I decided that I was going 
to become a jazz & blues musician when I 
grew up.

Fast forward a bunch of years.>>>>>>>>

When I was doing a stint in the USA some years ago
 performing with some heavy-weight jazz musicians, one
night Cleve(Cleve Eaton, double bassist with among
others Count Basie's Orchestra and Ramsey Lewis)
 looked quizzically at me and asked: -How come a
little blue-eyed, white-haired kid growing up in
the suburbs of Stockholm ''gets'' the blues and jazz?
(I had told him that I had decided as a five year
old that I was going to become a jazz & blues musician.)
-Uhh, I really don't know Cleve, I just know that
from the moment I listened to my dad's old 78's
jazz and blues records, I had found a music that
knew and expressed everything that was 
in my heart and soul.

That's the thing with the Blues, it's raw, it's honest,
it tells it like it is.
Sometimes with words, sometimes with just instruments,
the Blues tells a story.
A story of what it feels like to be a human. 
When we cry when we laugh, when we love
when we grieve, when we're lonely when we're lost,
when we're happy when we're sad.
The Blues reminds us that we're not alone
when we suffer, when we struggle, when we feel
all alone.

''Every bad situation is a blues song
waiting to happen.''
(Amy Winehouse)


As a child, I used to try to get as close to the sound
I made on the piano as I could.
For hours I would press the keys searching for
sounds that responded to and expressed my feelings.
I discovered that music is a wave of emotion and
experiences in sounds that at times couldn't
be described with words.

''Music, [whatever the genre,] expresses that which
cannot be said and on which it is impossible
to be silent.''
(Victor Hugo)


about the images: top: Ink on paper
Billie Holiday, Lady sings the Blues
bottom: Graphite on paper

No comments:

Post a Comment