Wednesday 10 March 2021

To Be or to Have, that is the question........


 What is the difference between ''to be'' or ''to have''?
If I am what I have, then what am I if I lose what I have?

According to Erich Fromm there are two modes of existence:
To have or to be, having or being.
If we state that ''I have a very nice home'', that is very different 
to stating that ''I am very happy in my home'' as it refers to
two fundamental different modes of existence.
''Two different kinds of orientation toward self and the world,
two different kinds of character structure the respective
predominance of which determines the totality
of a person's thinking, feeling, and acting.''

Put differently: ''to have'' is commonly about possession,
ownership, and or something that is required.
''To be'' is commonly about existence/state/condition,
to be, as in: I am, You are, they are, something is.....
Perhaps one could say: 
Being is about ''animate'' things, having is about ''inanimate'' things.

In Erich Fromm's publication ''The Art of Living'' he
writes: ''That we want to live, that we like to live, are facts
that require no explanation. But if we ask how we want to live -
what we seek from life, what makes life meaningful to us -
then indeed we deal with questions to which people will
give many different answers.''
Most of us have probably said things like ''when I have this, that, 
and the other, then I will be happy.''
Most of us have probably also discovered that when we did have
this, that, and the other, we found new things that we thought 
we had to have in order to be happy.
However, the excitement that we often experience when we acquire
materialistic things usually doesn't last.
Having stuff, it seems, can only offer us a momentary sense of satisfaction
and fulfillment.(Happiness)
We can even become so ''addicted'' to the possessing of stuff that
we ignore our inner selves cravings for meaningful interactions
with others. Instead of spending time with our loved ones,
we spend our time working in order to amass more money,
in order to amass more possessions.
(I am not talking about those of us who work endless hours in
order to meet basic physiological needs for food, shelter and
clothing.)
According to some statistics(forget where I read them) that I came
across, there was an indication that most people who say that they are
unhappy because they believe that they don't have enough money,
may perhaps not be unhappy due to a lack of money, but perhaps
more so due to a lack of self-fulfillment.
Self-fulfillment is not about having, it's about being.
Being, in my view, is knowing who you are and also what you are not, 
it's knowing what your core values and principles are 
and adhering to them. 

''If well-being - [defined as] functioning well as a person,
not as an instrument - is the supreme goal of ones efforts',
two specific ways stand out that lead to the attainment of
this goal: Breaking through one's narcissism and breaking
through the property structure of one's existence.''
(Erich Fromm)

(My understanding of ''property structure'' used in the quote above
is: ''having, owning, possessing structure''.)
So perhaps the quote can be interpreted as:
If well-being is one's goal as a human, then attaining such
one must must let go of the narcissism of having in
preference of being.
Instead of viewing oneself as: I am what I have, rather...
I am what I do, I am what I am.

''Life is problems. 
Living is solving problems.''
(Raymond E. Feist)

about the image: Hamlet pondering whether to Be or to Have
ink on paper

No comments:

Post a Comment