Thursday 21 May 2020

''Heaven''? Is there such a thing?


This painting is titled ''On the way to Heaven''.

Why?
As much as the thought of dying is not an easy one to
come to grips with, sooner or later however, we will all have to
grapple with it.
Because let's face it, none of us are getting out of it.
When my son had barely turned one years old he
had his first life threatening asthma attack.
As the hospital staff did all they could to keep
him breathing, I was told to leave.
I stumbled out of the emergency room barely conscious
of what I was doing.
With legs of jelly I walked outside.
It was raining.
I could hardly breathe, my heart was pounding,
and my whole body shaking.
I prayed. ''God, if you can hear me, please keep my
son alive''. Over and over I repeated the words like a mantra.
As if in a trance I walked back and forth in front of
the emergency entrance repeating my mantra.
Until somebody tapped me on my shoulder and said:
''You can come in now. Your son is in an oxygen
tent to help him breathing. The medication has started
to work and he is breathing easier now. He
will be okay.''

Is there a God or something above,
an essence of good, an essence of love,
that's far beyond and above all physics,
 hovers in the realm we call meta-physics?

Is there an equation, some scientific practice,
that defines for us, with mathematical exactness,
that what we can see and touch with our hands,
is not all there is, merely what we understand?

We are a species invested in knowing,
fully committed to always be growing,
to explore and probe less trodden paths,
to find the answers to questions asked.

Prudent and fastidious and persistent as we are,
the fact that we're all mortal, we ponder from afar.
We know from death and dying, there is no escape,
 so we make it more pleasant and call it ''pass away''.

Maybe there is a God or something above,
an essence of good, an essence of love,
though it's far beyond and above all physics,
 and hovers in the realm we call meta-physics.
(Citizen Z)

about the painting: acrylic on canvas, quite large
suggestion: stare at it with an open mind and it will surprise you
what you will ''see''.

No comments:

Post a Comment