Saturday 30 May 2020

Learning how to improvise.......


Before I started to paint, I used to do a lot
of analog photography. 
I loved it. I loved improvising with shutter and
exposure time, push them to the limit
and then watch what would happen.
Showing some of my photos to a friend, he asked:
''Have you tried using Adobe Photoshop?''
Never having heard of it I answered no.
''I think you may find using it as an editing tool
interesting, and if you want, I can download 
a copy of it for you to try out.''
Fast forward three weeks and I am spending all
my free time trying to learn how to use Photoshop.
I even bought a book on ''How to use Photoshop'' but
it didn't make much sense to me, so I did what
I tend to do when I want to learn something new; 
improvised.
In a Simpson episode Lisa asks Homer why he doesn't
like Jazz. Homer answers: ''Jazz? Pfft!! Why, it's not
real music, they just make it up as they go along.''
Improvising can perhaps be defined as ''making
something up on the go'', or figuring something out
on the ''fly'',  but in my view it can also be defined
as a kind of mindset.
(Just ponder this: An improvised story is created at the same
time as it's told. So is an improvised melody when it's played, 
a painting when it's being painted, a dance when it's performed,
or a solution to an unexpected problem.)
Uncertainty is not something most of us find
easy to deal with. Many of us probably prefer to be
in control, organized, prepared, have plans at the ready,
knowing what or where the potential pitfalls may be, etc.etc.
The catchphrase ''going with the flow'' may probably even be somewhat
anxiety inducing and stressful for some of us.
But here's the thing, sometimes even though we have
prepared, checked, and planned, unexpected stuff happens.
We then have a choice of either trying to figure out a possible
solution(improvise) or just ''quit''.
As a professional musician, I have experienced innumerable
occasions when the unexpected has happened.
Suddenly there was an unexpected equipment failure.
If it didn't get fixed, there could be no show.
No show, no payment.
So, one had to improvise, which in most cases
meant grabbing the ''gaffa tape'' (duct tape) and becoming
very creative. (Gaffa tape, a musician's magic ''wand''.)

Improvisation though often connected with the arts,
 is much more than that,
 ''improvisation'', says Stephen Nachmanovich,
''is intuition in action.''
Improvising is something most of us do every day
although we may call it something else.
''-No marmalade? But I always have marmalade on my toast in the
morning. I guess I could just have some peanut butter and jelly
today though."
''-Wow, it's really raining hard. Maybe I'll just take the bus to work
today instead of the bike.''
In order to create a sense of control and certainty in an uncertain
existence, many of us find comfort in routines.
(We often sleep on the same side in our beds, we make our beds
the same way every day, we have the same breakfast, we go to bed
at the same time, we do our washing on the same day, etc.etc.etc.)
But here's the thing as I see it: there are two sides to routines.
They comfort, but only when intact. Once there is an interference
and any of our routines broken, we often experience anxiety and
discomfort. If our mindsets are too rigid and opposed
to change, may I suggest that we are more easily unsettled than
 if we have a mindset that has embraced the ''art'' of improvising.

''In the long history of humankind(and animal kind, too)
those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively,
have prevailed.''
(Charles Darwin)

about the image: a photo taken of a little girl
holding a red balloon, then subjected to hours of editing
in Adobe Photoshop

No comments:

Post a Comment