Sunday 8 December 2019

Waiting is an opportunity, not a waste of time........


Before I started to paint, I used to do a lot of photography.
I loved my old Analogue SLR and together we shot
many, many photos. Alas, along comes digital cameras
and out went films and the need for labs. 
I bought myself a digital camera, but, I never warmed to it.
I started to paint instead.
Now, many years later, due to torn rotator cuffs and
bursitis in my neck and shoulders, I can no longer paint.
Alas, I have decided to go back to photography as it
does not hurt.
(The above image is a photo I shot in my kitchen an 
hour ago with my crappy, old, low pixel rate,
digital camera.)
Satisfying though it is to instantly be able to see the
image, I have to admit that I miss the waiting for
the ''reveal'' while waiting at the lab for photos
to be developed.
(Although, truth be told, I don't miss the cost involved
with having films processed.)
Waiting, come to think of it, is something many of 
us don't like very much.
Perhaps how we experience the passing of time may have
something to do with how we view waiting?
''Life is short, so I need to cram as much of it into every passing
moment as I can.''
This is of course where i-Thingy's come in handy.
Wherever/whenever we find ourselves having to wait, we can
always fill the time (make use of time) by ''surfing the net'',
listening to music, checking emails, catching up with friends,
etc.etc.
There is no doubt about how very handy it is
to be able to do those things, but lately, I have 
been wondering if it is not possible that we may
miss out on actual ''living experiences'' when we
forfeit it for ''virtual'' ones.

Waiting, for some of us, may feel like we are
''wasting'' our time, so we may feel a need to fill
 it with something we deem more useful.
But, often when we are waiting somewhere,
we are not doing so in a void. Usually, there
are others waiting as well.
At the doctors, in a queue, at the bus/train stop, at the airport,
etc.etc. 
These sorts of situations can be opportunities for
making new connections, for observing life
in the moment, for just ''being''.

According to those in the know, more and more of
us are feeling alienated and lonely.
And I can't help but wonder if our ''obsession'' and
preoccupation with i-Thingy's perhaps has something
to do with that.
If we replace face-to-face interaction with 
virtual interaction, there is some research that
suggest that rather than feeling closer to others,
we feel more isolated.
However, if we use social networking to promote
face-to-face conversations, then the outcome is often
that we feel less lonely.

An i-Thingy can perhaps feel like a ''security blanket'',
but consider this,
is it possible that it can also be viewed as a
''Do Not Disturb'' sign?
Next time you are waiting(for whatever),
why not keep your i-Thingy turned off
and just use your waiting time to 
observe everything around you.

''Life only happens in the Now.''

No comments:

Post a Comment