Friday 27 December 2019

Listening is an action......


The facilitator sighed deeply.
''Counseling'', she said, ''is not about giving advice, it's about listening.
And when I say listening, I mean active listening.
Active listening is a communication technique that requires from
the listener to re-state and paraphrase in his/her own
words what he/she has heard, and by doing so
confirm with the speaker that they understand
each other.''
''Okay class, so what we are going to do now is to split you up
in to groups of four and practice active listening.''

Although we were in our third week of the Crisis counseling course,
we didn't really know each other.
Yet, somehow, groups of four were made.
We placed our chairs in a circle facing each other, we
smiled, we gave each other furtive looks,
 but not one of us spoke.
It seemed none of us wanted to go first.
Roger, one of the few men who attended the course,
finally broke the silence and began to tell us why
he was doing the course.
He told us that he was in the middle of divorce proceedings
and that his wife wanted to break up because she felt that
they never really communicated.
Before long, others in the group began to give him advice.
I remained silent and focused on just listening. 
Not because I didn't also have the urge to
offer some advice, but because the facilitator had told us
to not do so.
Suddenly Roger turned to me and said: ''You haven't said a word,
what do you think?''
Mindful of what the facilitator had told us, I said: ''So what
I have heard you say is that your wife feels that the
communication between you is not very good, is that right?
Yes, he answered.
"What I have also heard you say is that you feel that
when you do try to be open and honest with her, she shuts
you down, is that right?
Yes.
''Am I right in saying that I've heard you say that you offered to
go to couples counseling but that she feels that it's too late?
Yes.
''But you feel that it's not too late and that your marriage can 
still be saved, is that right?''
Yes.
And so it went. I paraphrased, he agreed when he felt that
he was understood correctly, and when he felt that he wasn't,
he re-phrased himself.
One by one, we all took turns speaking about issues that 
were important to us, and although at times
we would give in to the temptation of advice giving,
I think we all discovered the effectiveness of active listening.
At the end of the session, I wrote down some notes. 
If, or when, someone needs a listening ear,
instead of jumping in to ''solving'' mode try saying this:
I am here and I am listening.
I want to hear what you are saying so that I can sense what
you are feeling and thinking.
Can I share with you my perceptions of what you have 
told me to make sure that I'm on track?
Can we explore together your concerns and maybe
that can help in some way to bring clarity to your 
situation?
If I start to give you advice, please tell me to stop.

On the way to my car at the end of the day, Nicola,
another student, caught up with me.
''Do you buy into the ''no advice'' thing? Really, what's the point in
sharing one's troubles with someone if they are not going to
offer any advice on how to fix it? Seems pretty useless to me and
I don't agree with it.''
Before I could answer her she shouted ''See ya" and disappeared
around the corner.
All the way home I pondered what Nicola had said.
Was she right?
Why do so many of us feel the need to offer up solutions?
We may be perplexed by our own problems yet we are
often quick to offer solutions to other's problems.

Let's face it, telling others how to fix their problems
is often far easier than figuring out our own, besides,
it's a kind of ego-boost.
However, creating a space in our hearts and minds by listening,
listening deeply and supportedly, 
may be the most helpful thing we can do
when someone needs a hand.

''What's wrong with giving advice?
Advice is often a basic insult to the intelligence
of the other person.
It implies a lack of confidence in the capacity of the
person with the problem to understand
and cope with his or her own difficulties.''
(Robert Bolton)

about the image: biro on paper... ''open'' your ears and you hear better
ps. Nicola never came back to the course


No comments:

Post a Comment