Sunday 3 November 2019

Finding beauty.........


Beauty.
What is beauty to you?
A glistening blue ocean, a magical sunset, a pristine forest,
a star lit evening sky, a special piece of music, a ballerina
doing the pas de deau, your child's smile, an elegant equation,
etc.etc.
When we experience something we deem beauty, something
seems to happen to us.
And often, though not always, that ''something'' is an
instinctual emotional response.
Tears may well up in our eyes, our hearts may beat a little
faster, a sense of lightness may flow through our bodies,
we may suddenly feel like dancing, singing, crying, laughing,
etc.etc.
Beauty, it seems, has an ability to bypass our cognition
and lodge itself somewhere inside of us out
of reach from our consciousness.
''His/her/its beauty made me catch my breath, the beauty with which
 they danced across the stage left me breathless,
the beauty of the way the eagle soared across the midnight sky brought
tears to my eyes, the beauty of the opening chord to Tristan and Isolde
pierced my soul, etc.etc.'' 
(just some examples, there are more of course)
Is the ability to appreciate beauty(whatever we may deem to be beauty)
 something we are all born with, or is it something we learn to do?
If we are all born with the ability to appreciate beauty, can that
ability be squashed if it isn't encouraged?
Children, it seems to me, often have their own take on what constitutes ''beauty''.
For a child, a worm, a ferret, a snake, a caterpillar, a ladybug, 
a blowfly, a dandelion, a muddy puddle, a dog with three legs,
etc.etc. can all be things of beauty.
''Mommy, look at me, I look beautiful!'' says the little girl
dressed in black and white spotted gum boots, a purple tutu,
red and white striped tights, a pink and silver coloured
t-shirt, and ruby red lipstick smeared all over her face.
''Daddy, look what I found! I found this beautiful lizard in the garden,
isn't he beautiful, Daddy?'' says the little boy as he holds
up a water dragon for his father to see.
Though I don't know this for sure and have not been able to find
any information to substantiate the validity of this thought, I think that
a child far easier finds beauty in the world around them
then us adults. I have a sneaky feeling that as the years pass, we
become less able(or perhaps willing) to spot beauty in the midst
of our day to day lives.
(Not to mention that these days, the ''ugly'' things us humans 
do to each other and our planet is plastered before our
eyes 24/7 on some screen somewhere.)
The good news is that with very little effort
 we can once again find beauty.
All it takes is for us to take the time to 
look for it without prejudice.
For me, really understanding the words: ''wherever you are, be there''
has helped me to keep a look out for ''beauty'' even in the most
dire of situations.
 Perhaps those words may come in handy for you as well?
I hope so.
Life is full of beauty. Take the time to notice it.

about the painting: It's called ''Glimpses of Beauty''...acrylic on canvas

No comments:

Post a Comment