Friday 29 December 2017

Every day is an opportunity to become a "better" you........


(This is a painting I did a few years ago which ended up in Sweden before I had taken a photo of it. The quality of the image is not the best due to the number of i-thingy's it had to go thru before I could post it, but hopefully the essence of the love between the father and son is still discernable.)

In a few days, actually, tomorrow is the last day of this year.  I have never put much stock in New Year's celebrations, although I am pretty sure that some people do, none the less, for some of us it's an excellent time to make resolutions to do things differently, and hopefully "better", ... next year.


A New Years Promise

Hush, dear son and try to sleep,
do not worry, do not weep.
You are safe, here in my arms,
far away, from that which harms.

Rest your head against my chest,
hear the gentle rhythm of my breaths.
Let fly away all tears and fears,
and ugly thoughts that may appear.

Hold not too tight yesterday's sorrows,
or what may come in future tomorrows,
just rest easy, in the here and now,
straighten out, your worried brow.

Innocence cuts with surgical precision,
through layers of pretense and most suppositions,
which makes a child, yes a boy just like you,
able to tell when a heart is not true.

So, watching you sleep here in my arms,
I can't help but wonder: have I done you harm?
Could I have shown you, more love more patience,
the words that I used, of a far gentler cadence?

I fear that the answer, if honest I'd be:
I can do better, be a better me.
I'll make you a promise, loud and clear,
to be a better father, this coming new year.
(Citizen Z)

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world."(Anne Frank)
(Perhaps one could even say: "How wonderful it is that no one need wait a single moment before starting to improve themselves.")
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world" says Gandhi...

I wish you a great 2018......

No comments:

Post a Comment