Sunday 3 January 2016

Want to feel better? Have a good laugh......

 
“My pain may be the reason for somebody's laugh.
                  But my laugh must never be the reason for somebody's pain.”  
 
“You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down.”
 
Charlie Chaplin, used comedy to portray, reflect, and observe the world and its inhabitants.
He helped us to smile, and to laugh, in spite of our troubles. For a brief moment, a bit of comedy allowed us to forget what ailed us and just be present in the now. "Comic relief", at times can be very helpful, especially if, for some reason one finds oneself stuck in a troubled mindset.
"Laughter is the best medicine" someone once said. Now why is that? What is so good with laughter?
Let me suggest a few things:
1. Laughter relaxes muscles all over the body
2. Laughter is a language without borders; it's universal, wordless, everyone "speaks" it.
3. Laughter is a relaxant: when we laugh, our blood pressure and pulse rate drops a bit, our body releases endorphins(feel-good chemical) and our immune system increases its T-cell account.
4. Laughter can help us cope when we are going through difficult times. There is a very narrow line between tragedy and comedy; "Human life is basically a comedy. Even its tragedies often seem comic to the spectator, and not infrequently they actually have comic touches to the victim. Happiness probably consists largely in the capacity to detect and relish them." (H.L Mencken)
5. Laughter connects us with each other, it can create a bond (although at times perhaps temporary) with others when we are laughing together.
6. Laughter, can be a creative tool for learning...Though I had no interest in Chemistry in high school, the teacher was hilarious, and the class was in stitches as he blew up Busen burners, glass vials, and the alarm went off once a week.....I still learned a lot more in this class than in many others.
                                              (Perhaps you can think of more benefits?)
During a troublesome period recently when there seemed little to laugh about, I sought solace in watching TV. Flicking through the channels I came across a show called "Mrs Brown's Boy's".
At first it seemed silly but as I kept watching the show, I found myself laughing more and more, and when the show finished, I felt strangely invigorated. Having laughed heartedly for a spell somehow affected my attitude, and I felt more confident in being able to overcome my troubles.
In this case, laughter truly seemed to be "good medicine".
One of the many benefits with having a good laugh, is that it can help us shift our perspective: a humorous perspective can help us to gain some psychological distance, which in turn can assist us in feeling less overwhelmed. In short, taking the time out to have a good laugh in the midst of turmoil and troubles may not change a situation, but it has the potential to change the way we view the situation. "Have a good laugh, it makes you feel better."
What if I just can't laugh? Then may I suggest that you watch, or listen, to others laughing, it's infectious. That's why many TV shows have a so called "laughing track".
A friend once told me: "You're too serious, you need to learn to lighten up." At first I felt put out by that comment, but after considering it, I decided to take it to heart. But how does one "lighten up"?
I concluded that asking myself some questions could be helpful:
That, which is upsetting me, is it really worth getting upset over? Is it really important? Is it really all that bad? Are there other ways to view the situation? Can I find something humorous in the situation? Am I taking myself too seriously? That, which is upsetting me, is it really on my shoulders to "fix" it, or am I taking on the responsibility for "fixing" something which is out of my control? etc. etc.
I concluded:
"The antidote for taking oneself too serious, is to take a serious look at ones toenails." (Citizen Z)
 
"Laughter gives us distance. It allows us to step back from an event, deal with it, and then move on."
(Bob Newhart)
"Laughter is the valve on the pressure cooker of life. Either you laugh and suffer or, you've got your beans or brains on the ceiling." (Wavy Gravy)
"Laughter heals all wounds, and that's one thing everybody shares. No matter what you are going through, it makes you forget about your problems. I think the world should keep laughing."
(Kevin Hart)
"From the moment I picked up your book until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." (Groucho Marx)
 
Go on, have a good laugh, it will do you good.
"Laughter is an instant vacation." (Milton Berle)

No comments:

Post a Comment