Saturday 2 February 2013

Freedom in no yawn.........

 
Like monoliths, the buildings tower against the backdrop of a peach coloured sky. 
In the distance, sounds of a city waking up, on deck, a sombre hush.
With eyes eagerly searching, bodies worn from the long voyage, the new arrivals patiently await the go-ahead to disembark.
Left behind are famines, poverty, wars, broken dreams and broken hearts. For weeks on end a new dream has sustained; the dream of a life of freedom, the dream of a better life.
Freedom for many of us, is being free from slavery, oppression, to have political independence, to choose who we call our friends, to affect outcomes of the society in which we live, to voice our opinions, to choose where we live, to seek education in any area we choose, and so much more.
Is freedom the same as liberty?
Liberty relates to the idea of an individuals right to do what he/she wants, freedom on the other hand contains inbuilt restrictions. I am at liberty to start my lawn mover at three am, but my neighbour is also at liberty to disagree with me doing so; a free society contains individuals who are free to do what they do whilst respecting the freedoms of others.
As an individual I am at liberty to do what law and social customs do not forbid.
What differentiates a free society from other societies, is the extent of the legal and customary restrictions on freedom.
(It can be difficult to define freedom without acknowledging the restrictions placed on it, because freedom without restrictions, is that not better defined as chaos? )
When we claim we have the "right" to....xyz, where does this "right" come from?
 Speaking only for Western Democratic Tradition, a suggestion:
Common law of England, developed by the judges, was developed in accordance with basic moral principles; basically the moral code of Christianity but similar in other religions. These morals formed the basis of English common law and  include: honesty, duty, responsibility, fairness, the pursuit of truth, keeping promises and ones word, to mention a few. Emphasis is placed with the individual to do their duty and to be responsible. Can a society function humanely without these values? If there is no good, is bad possible?
People will risk their lives in bathtub sized vessels on open oceans in the hope of finding freedom.
People will work day and night years on end to save money to book passage on a plane in the hope of finding freedom.
People will risk their lives on the front line of wars, in the pursuit of freedom for those who are oppressed.
People will endure torture, all manners of excruciating pain, all in the fight for freedom.
What does freedom mean to you?
Is it a freedom to or a freedom from, or perhaps both?
"For me freedom means I can do what I want, when I want."
"For me freedom means I can say what I want, write what I want, print what I want."
"For me freedom means I can think what I want."
"For me freedom means I can vote for whoever I want."
"For me freedom means freedom from an authority dictating how I should live my life."
"For me freedom means freedom from food stamps, rations and starvation."
For many of us, perhaps we take freedom for granted.
If we have the freedom to speak our mind, does that exclude doing so responsibly?
Does there not have to be a balance between liberty and order, between the role of the individual and the government, between liberty and licence, liberty and responsibility?
Perhaps self expression plays a part.
Self-expression is a collection of values that include social toleration, the individuals life satisfaction, public expression and an aspiration to liberty.
We have the freedom to shoulder our individual responsibilities, our personal integrity and honesty,
our self-discipline, all in line with the customary and legal restraints of the society in which we live.
We may have the freedom to speak our mind, but so do others
we may have the freedom to cast our vote, but so do others,
we may have the freedom to the pursuit of happiness, but so do others.
 
“Better to die fighting for freedom then be a prisoner all the days of your life.”
(Bob Marley)
 
                      “Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves.”
                                                                       (Abraham Lincoln)
 
“When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people there is liberty.” (Thomas Jefferson)
 
“For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others.” (Nelson Mandela)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment