Wednesday 3 January 2024

Why can't you be normal! ..........



-Why can't you be like a normal person?
Why do you always have to be so damned deep
and serious all the time?  he asked impatiently.
She thought for a moment and then answered:
-I don't know what it's like to be a normal person, 
I only know what it's like to be me. 
This may make me seem like a singularity rather than a
commonality, yet, all life lived is predominantly experienced 
by each of us individually isn't it?
-Oh, shut up with that deep and probing stuff! he said
and then looked at her with a big grin on his face.
(This is an actual conversation I had in the car one night
when Tommie(my drummer friend) and I were on the
way home from a gig.)

Singularity can mean a lot of different things,
but for the purpose of this blog I am using the
the option(s) that means: singular/unique/one of a kind.
The opposite of singularity is as far as I can ascertain: 
  common/standard/normal etc.


Collectors know that for something to be really
valuable it has to be rare.
Watching ''Antiques Roadshow'' on Telly one afternoon,
in this particular episode they showed a woman
 who had brought with her a little porcelain vase for the
experts to appraise.
When asked where she had bought the little vase the
woman told the expert that she had bought it in a second hand
store for a pound fifty.
-Do you collect porcelain vases? asked the expert.
-Oh, no, I don't. I bought it on impulse one day while 
I was waiting for my bus. 
-And was this in a specialty shop selling porcelain?
-Oh, no, I bought it from a second hand store.
-What made you buy this particular vase?
-I don't know really. It just looked so delicate and beautiful.
-I see, well let me have a little look, said the expert.
The expert put on some soft gloves and then picked up the
little vase to have a close look. 
-Well my dear, I have to commend you on your purchase
because this little vase is one of a very small number of
similar vases made in China during the Yuan Dynasty.
This little beauty was made somewhere between the late
1200's  and early 1300's.
A gasp went through the crowd watching.
-Would you like to know how much it is worth, dear?
-Yes, please.
-This little vase is worth somewhere between 95.000 and
120.000 pound.
On hearing this the crowd burst out in to rapturous applauds and 
cheering. The woman who owned the vase, clutched her
heart and then gently whispered: -Well, I never.

If it impossible for two human beings to have identical/exactly
the same DNA(except for clones) does that not mean that
basically every one of us is a singularity?
And since each of us are unique/one of a kind, ought that
not make each of us priceless?
So why do we seem to find it so difficult to accept
and enjoy each others differences?
Why do we seem to value normal and common more
than ''different''?
Wouldn't it be nice if we could learn to appreciate
each others quirks and differences rather than mock them?

''The world needs psychological singularity, that is
oneness between humans, not some pompous
bio-technological singularity.''
(Abhijit Naskar)



about the image: ''Singularity''
Soft pastel on paper

No comments:

Post a Comment