Monday 6 March 2023

Fun is a mindset..........


-Are you coming dad? I asked excitedly.
-I will, he answered.
Looking at his face I could see that going
down the slippery dip did not seem to excite him
as much as it did me.
So I asked him if he didn't think that going down
slippery dips was any fun.
-What you think is fun now will change
as you grow older, he answered. 
At the time I did not realize just how profound
his statement was, but his words found a place to linger
in my subconscious and every now and then, they
pop up in my consciousness.
What do we mean when we say that we are
having fun?
As far as I can ascertain, we are having fun when 
we are doing something we enjoy.
Thing is, us humans are fickle and what may be fun
right now, may be boring and uninteresting tomorrow.
My father was right, our concept of what we experience
as fun changes as our life experiences changes us.
Some people say its fun to troll people, some
people say its fun to make fun of others, some
people say its fun to prank others, some people
view bullying as fun, some people say its fun
to catfish, some people say its fun to scam others, etc. etc.
Fun is subjective, it can be interpreted in many different
ways. It is a unique experience to each of us and 
therefore tricky to give a universal definition.
However,
Personally, if hurting others in any way is ''fun'' to
us, then I think we need to do a bit of self-reflection
and figure out why causing others pain makes us
experience this as ''enjoyment/fun''.

Trying to figure out what fun means to me
these days, I have come up with a few ''ingredients''
that I think needs to be included in the definition
of the word fun:
novelty, curiosity, spontaneity, and a sense
of timelessness.
(Timelessness as in while having fun there is
no sense of time.)
I have also come to the conclusion that to
have fun does not have to include other people.
The bird in the above image is made up by
a number of different cardboard pieces, like
a puzzle, and when put together made this
beautiful little Fairy Wren. Putting it together
was great fun for me.
Discovering that if I hosed down the beach umbrella 
on my deck at a specific angle it started to spin at
great knots spraying water all over the place, was
also great fun.
Chasing our cat around the couch, up and down 
the stairs when she is in a frisky mood, also fun.
Sitting down at the piano and just improvising,
fun.
Watching crazy Brit comedies, fun.
Listening to Djent/Fusion music together with my son, fun.
Painting, sketching, taking photographs, fun.
Doing and trying new things, fun.
My father was right, what I today experience as fun
keeps changing every day.
Fun, it seems, is a mindset.
A mindset that is malleable, open, curious and
brave.

''You don't need an amusement park nor a party to
have fun, all you need is a bit of curiosity,
imagination and gumption.
Fun is a mindset.''
(Citizen Z)

about the image: A photo taken with my crappy old Canon
camera

No comments:

Post a Comment