Monday 8 April 2019

Sarcasm, is it hostility dressed up in a clown suit?


Sometimes, a ''one-liner'' seem to be able to communicate a 
a message, a deeper meaning, insight, wisdom, etc. that sets in
motion a lot of further thinking.
Often, due to the economy and specificity of words, a well-crafted
one-liner can cut through a lot of ''barriers'' and hit us straight in the
heart.
Sometimes in a good way, and sometimes in a hurtful way.
Sarcasm in my view, can at times be very hurtful one-liners,
(some say it is the lowest form of wit/humor) although
they may at times be both witty and even quite funny.
English is not my first language, Swedish is, so I will freely
admit that it has taken me some time to come to grips with
sarcasm.
In the beginning I found it hard to laugh when folks made
sarcastic remarks (one-liners) about for instance my ''accent'',
but as the years have gone by and my English has improved,
 I have learnt to not take quips about my accent too seriously.
In my experience, a well-crafted one-liner of the ''benign'' kind,
as for instance: ''be the change you want to see in the world'',
or ''it's in the stillness the greatest thoughts are born'', or 
''do unto others as you would have them do unto you'' can
assist us to gain a greater understanding of what it is to be a human.
Sarcastic comments/one-liners on the other hand,
 seldom lifts us up or boosts our self-esteem and or self-confidence. 
Some say that sarcasm is hostility disguised as humor, and considering 
that the word sarcasm comes from the Greek word ''sarkazein'',
which means ''to tear or strip the flesh off'', it is not really
surprising that being at the brunt of sarcastic comments hurts.
Benign one-liners on the other hand, rather than tear us down, 
often has the ability to lift us up, to offer us insight, and
to comfort us.
''If at first you don't succeed, try, and try again", or ''Never, never, never, 
give up'', or ''Pain is temporary but love is forever'',  or ''You
are not alone, I am here with you.''
As a professional musician, there were times when the gigs
dried up.  In order to look after my son and keep food on
the table, I worked on and off in different
warehouses. For some reason, the fact that I was a musician
seemed to arouse hostilities and unfriendliness in many of
my co-workers. Sarcasm and belittling was a daily occurrence.
I do not believe in responding in kind, so whenever they bullied me,
I would walk away. I never retaliated, I just worked harder.
Until. Until they fiddled with my steering wheel and I almost
ran off the road on the way home from work.
I decided I had to say something, but I did not want to stoop
to their level. 

The next morning I walked up to the warehouse manager, 
(aka the man behind most of the harassment) 
stood eyeball to eyeball with him and then said:
''Never mistake kindness for weakness.
I am choosing not to treat you the way you treat me. ''
I held his gaze for a full minute and then walked away.
After that, I was left alone.
You see, I rather be a candle, than curse the darkness.
With that I mean: Darkness=scary stuff, light=good stuff.
Lighting a match in utter darkness one night when
the power had been cut, I realized that no matter how dark
 the darkness was, even a single lit match
was ''stronger'' than the darkness.

For some of us sarcasm may come easier than words of encouragement.
Here's the bad about that: Sarcasm often pushes people away, whereas
kind words and encouragement often draws people closer.

No comments:

Post a Comment