Monday 10 August 2015

The human mating ritual as viewed by a Fly on the Wall.....

 
Testaments according to the Flies on the Wall
                                  Entry Number 23749 as recorded by Fly "Buzz ZK471"

"So, I had a really busy day, you know, buzzing about all over the place. The sun went down and the night crept in like a cat on the prowl. I was stationed at this home way out in the sticks, like, what the humans call the countryside. In this home lived a man and a woman and two mini humans; one of each kind; boy and girl, I think they call them. There was a lot of activities taking place; the man sat on the couch and drank some sort of bubbly drink, beer, I think its called, and the boy and the girl were both sitting infront of some sort of screens, madly typing. The woman was in my favourite room; the kitchen, and she was doing things with food that emitted smells that almost drove me crazy with desire. Okay, so, the woman put the lovely smelling food on plates, and all of the humans sat down around a table.
                                 The man drank some more beer, the woman kept getting up and down from the table while talking to the boy and the girl; although it sounded more like she was handing out instructions of some sort rather than conversing.  The boy and the girl seemed to ignore her, and only the occasional "yes" or "no" was spoken by them. Every now and then, the man would say: "Listen to your mother", then continue eating his food and drinking his beer in silence. The mother collected the empty plates when this ritual was over and done with, the boy and girl went back to their screens, and the man to the couch. In the kitchen, (such an amazing place, why humans don't hang out there 24/7 is beyond me!) the mother silently washed, rinsed, and removed all the nice smelling items, .... down to the last speck (sadly), and when that was done, she joined the man on the couch. (Not that I am a connoisseur or anything, but, all that wonderful food and the humans just gulp it down? I mean, every morsel must have been a delight.)
                       The boy and the girl retired to their own special rooms; I did some reconnaissance but they both just went back to their screens again. I sat on the wall in both rooms for a while, but got bored, so I flew downstairs to the room with the woman and the man in it.
                          Well, something interesting was going on there. I think they had began some sort of mating ritual. The man had one arm around the woman, the other on her knee, and they spoke with very hushed voices. Suddenly the man stood up, the woman giggled, and hand in hand they walked up the stairs to the room humans call the "bedroom". I followed. I found myself a good spot on the wall, and watched.        The man undressed, threw his clothes on the floor, and the woman did the same. They slid under the covers, and a lot of activity began. (Since it was under the covers, I couldn't really see what they were doing, but they seemed to be having a lot of fun.)
             Suddenly the woman told the man to turn off the light. This started a peculiar interaction: "Henry, turn off the light, please." "Why, Olivia?" said the man. "Henry, just turn it off". "But I like doing it with the light on, Olivia." "Henry, unless you turn the light off, I wont go on." "But Olivia, you are beautiful, and I like to see your beauty." "Henry, you know how self-conscious I am of the extra pounds I have put on, so, please turn off the light." This carried on for a bit, but eventually the man gave in, and the light was turned off. (At this stage I decided to find myself a comfortable ledge to sit on, because my legs had become tired from clinging to the wall, so I found a nice bit of frame on a painting, and sat down.) The activity under the covers resumed. Gradually it became more and more vigorous, and then it just stopped. (???)
               The man turned on his side, and within minutes, he had started to snore. Then something very puzzling happened; the woman turned away from the man, and assisted by the moonlight, I saw glistening pearls of tears trickling down her face. 

Comment: Human mating rituals bewilder me. Sometimes it involves the exchange of money, sometimes it involves violence, sometimes it involves strange clothing and peculiar accessories, sometimes it involves men on men and women on women, sometimes it involves more than two people, sometimes it involves drugs and alcohol, not to mention all the very varied and different environments where it takes place: on planes, in cars, in toilets, come to think of it.....it seems it can take place absolutely anywhere. On the other hand, sometimes the mating ritual seems to be gentle, sincere, loving, and very, very intimate. But tears? Human beings are strange.     Buzz ZK471

No comments:

Post a Comment