Sunday 29 September 2024

Life is an analogue experience........


It was one of those days when the light was extraordinarily 
beautiful.
One of those days when for a brief moment in time
the light would fall on everything in its path
and turn even broken pieces of glass to the
most precious of jewels.
I loaded my Pentax analogue camera with a fresh
roll of film and headed for the beach.
Arriving at the beach, what I had hoped for
was immediately apparent in all its glory.
The rain had yet again managed to set the scene for
the sun to perform its magic as its rays enveloped
everything it touched.
Knowing that this very special light would only
last for another hour, I started to wander about
searching for that special shot.
I wasn't searching for a postcard image, I was
searching for that something that under normal
circumstances probably would be considered as
uninteresting and rather dull. 
Something that now, with the help
of this special light had become something
beautiful, something extraordinary,
something more ........ like a piece of art.

As I sat down on a bench, camera at the ready
and scanning the scenery, I noticed something 
 in the periphery catching the light in a most
spectacular way.
Knowing that time and therefore also the light
was slipping away, I aimed my camera at the
''whatever it was'', zoomed in and took a few
shots in quick succession.
With my finger still on the shutter button
it started to rain again.
I quickly put on the lens cap, shoved the camera
 in the camera bag, and ran for cover.
The photo session was over and so was
the extraordinary light.

Halfway home I realized that I had to wait
for the film to be developed before I could 
have a closer look at what those last few
frames of film contained.
But then again, part of the fun of using 
an analogue camera was (and still is in my view) 
the anxious anticipation of picking up a fresh
batch of photos from the developers.

*
These days we snap pics with our telephones.
We have immediate access not only to view
our pics but also to edit and print them.
Every moment can be ''frozen'' in time.
We no longer need to use our minds and
memory facilities in order to remember 
our special moments.
What I keep wondering about though,
is whether it's really that good for our
ability to remember stuff if we keep
relying on an i-Thingy to do the remembering
for us?

Insight: Once upon a time, photographs were often
used to authenticate experiences and events.
Today? Not so much, as we have figured out
how to ''deep fake'' and edit images in the
most genius of ways so that photos/pics/images can
 no longer be trusted.

*
Maybe if we focus our attention more on
experiencing the(a) moment instead of
capturing it, we may become the beneficiaries
of those precious moments instead of one of our
many Data Storage systems.
Just wondering...........


This is an acrylic on canvas painting made
from a close-up of the above photographic image.

What is it: it is broken pieces of glass from a green
 beer bottle on top of a water-soaked ledge


No comments:

Post a Comment